Wednesday 23 December 2015

#RoadToGold - Weeks 3 and 4

...Recollecting what I did 2 weeks ago seems like a daunting task right now and makes me wish I had not procrastinated when I was supposed to update this blog last week. My instant gratification monkey overpowered me last Tuesday and almost did so today too! But then, the thought of having to recollect 3 weeks' actions brought out the panic monster in me and here I am.


L-R: Panic monster, Instant gratification monkey and Me
(image: waitbutwhy.com)
The main reason I started this blog is to document stories of my adventures on the bike. When I crashed in November, I had an idea to weekly update my blog which I could use to notice how my thinking processes and thought patterns changed evolved over a period of time, so that one day I can look back and go "God, I was such an idiot!".

A week after I crashed I locked up my instant gratification monkey and started meditating daily. Over a period of time, this tool has given me a better clarity of my thought patterns. By analyzing them, I have been able to oversee the puny problems which I tended to exaggerate. Just how much did I exaggerate? To give you an idea, I spent 2 sleepless nights back in June all the while worried because I was getting less than half an hour in races.  



Over time, I gathered alternative perspectives on my situation which helped me sleep better. That and I improved in races in the following weeks.

Right now, the biggest hurdle I face is procrastination. Many a times , I have found myself either quit halfway through a blogpost or spend twenty minutes staring at the blinking cursor and then calling it quits to watch videos of JacksgapHis videos are dangerously addictive!  Last week, the nerd in me spent 20 hours spread over 3 days reading a 4 part series about Elon Musk. I then spent the next 2 days overcoming an identity crisis.

I now undoubtedly believe that this guy is the raddest man on Earth!

I've realized that this a hurdle and not a wall and I have been reading through tons of articles online to gain a better insight into it's mechanisms which I believe will help me jump above it.

 My ramblings above should tell you by now that I've been off the bike for waaaaaaaaaay too long with waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much free time on my hands.

Back to the domain of bike racing, the 2015 Indian National Championships have been scheduled to take place from the 24th of February to the 27 of February, 2016. No,that was not a typo.
With the inclusion of a 2.5km 4% climb, the racing will surely be interesting. The whippet hound in me wags his tail in agreement!

I got on the trainer for the first time on Monday. The huge void in training has definitely taken its toll on my strength, but I have got 9 weeks to prepare and with the coaching of one of the smartest people I know, I am pretty confident, I will back to shape by then.

Until next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment